Over the centuries, humans continue to search for answers to questions about themselves: 1. Their origin (where did we come from?) 2. Their present struggles in life (choosing between good and evil) 3. Their future (what happens after we die?)
This study provides some answers to these questions.
Genesis 1:27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1:31 God looked at everything He had made, and He was very pleased (it was very good). Evening passed, and morning came - that was the sixth day.
1. From Genesis 1:31, what did God think about everything He had made (including man)?
Man's Present Struggles
1 John 3:4 Whoever sins is guilty of breaking God's law, because sin is a breaking of the law.
2. According to 1 John 3:4, what is sin?
Romans 3:23 For all people have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
3. What does God now say about all people?
Isaiah 53:6 All of us were like sheep that were lost, each of us going our own way. But the LORD made punishment fall on Him, the punishment that all of us deserved.
4. As a result of sin, what is man like (as described in Isaiah 53:6)
Ecclesiastes 7:20 There is no one on earth who does what is right all the time and never makes a mistake.
5. What examples of people's actions you can think of that prove what is written in Ecclesiastes 7:20?
Romans 6:23 The payment for sin is death, but the gift that God freely gives is eternal life found in Christ Jesus our Lord.
6. When people work, they are paid a salary or wages (something earned or deserved). According to Romans 6:23, what is the payment for sin?
Isaiah 59:1-2 Don't think that the LORD is too weak to save you or too deaf to hear your call for help. It is because of your sins that He doesn't hear you. It is your sins that separate you from God when you try to worship Him.
7. From Isaiah 59:1-2 what is the result of sin?
Hebrews 9:27 It is destined that each person dies only once and after that comes judgment.
8. What happens to a person after they die (according to Hebrews 9:27)?
Revelation 20:12 I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God's throne. And the books were opened, including the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to the things written in the books, according to what they had done.
Revelation 20:15 And anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of the Living was thrown into the lake of fire.
9. Revelation 20:12, 15 describe the judgement of people by God. a. People are judged according to what? (vs. 12) b. What happens to those people whose names are not written in the Book of the Living?
Sin is terrible because it will only lead to death.
God's Desire for People
Ezekiel 18:32 "I take no pleasure in the death of anyone," says the sovereign LORD. "Turn away from your sins and live."
Death was not a part of God's original plan. It is the result of sin. Therefore God is not pleased at the death of anyone.
10. What does God want people to do in order to life?
John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look! There is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
11. Who can take away our sin and therefore save us from judgement?
12. Look over your answers. a. What is the main thing you have learned about people? b. What have you learned about God?